Saturday, October 13, 2007

The itsy bitsy spider hid inside Tommy's shoe.

So let me start out by saying if you are deathly afraid of spiders like myself, you probably shouldn't read on...Erin, that means you. We woke up today to a cool, crisp fall morning. I love fall because it's the time of year for hoodies, puffy vests, fireplaces and hot chocolate. We planned to get some stuff done on the house, and have a nice relaxing day. Tommy had gone outside to check on some things only to quickly return to inform me that when putting one of his shoes (which had been in the garage) he had felt a pinch only to find a very nasty bite on the top of his right foot. Yes, his shoe had been home to a very disgusting spider. After he and our neighbor killed the arachnid, and noticed that it had a red splotch on it's back, we decided to call the dr. He told us to go immediately to the E.R. in case of it being a black widow. Now I'm all for E.R.'s, and being on the safe side. After professing my fears of a footless husband or worse, I convinced him to go to the hospital. To make a long story short we were able to bring the spider with us, and 2 hours, 3 doctors and 3 nurses later, we found out that it was probably a red back spider, and to "keep a good eye on it" and take it easy for a while. They also gave us an emergency prescription only to be filled if his condition worsens. Tommy graciously thanked the doctors for giving him a free day of sitting on the couch and watching football, and we were on our way home. I am happy to say he is doing great (amazing what a day of football, emmm, I mean rest can do).
We also got our first snow fall today. Actually it was a hail storm, but it still counts. So Erin (and any other arachnophobes who bravely read this post), please shake out your shoes before slipping into them. You never know who or what has moved in.


1 comment:

ej said...

Holy crap I SO did not need that story! :0 I am so sorry that one of my worst fears came true...to Tommy! Glad the football helped though :) And is that the best they could come up with for the spider name? Red/Black? Did you say "thanks but we already knew that" lol
Spiders. Why???
ps. I am officially paranoid now.