Once upon a time there was a mom and a baby...
The week was coming to an end and Tommy was heading out of the country for business. He left on Thursday evening and wouldn't be back until Tuesday. I was excited because my Uncle Davey was here for business from Utah, and we made plans for while he was visiting.
Friday Ashton woke up with a pretty bad rash on his tummy and back. I called his pediatrician and made an appointment to bring him in. 20 minutes later we were in the car driving to the Dr. I noticed my gas light was on in my car, but I decided to wait for the drive home to stop because the Dr. said to come in a.s.a.p.. The news was good at the pediatrician. She told us that it was just a contact rash probably from an undershirt or something, and that it should go away on it's own in a few days. She also mentioned that since he was 6 months I could now give him Motrin if he seemed uncomfortable and fussy.
We stopped at Conoco for gas and it was very windy and rainy. To make a long story short my door blew closed and Ashton was locked inside. I quickly ran in and called 911 and they dispatched me to the fire department. A few minutes later a fireman was there with his box of tools and was busy trying to break in. In the distance I could hear some sirens and remember thinking "I wonder who those are for"-well they were for yours truly. Yup, another firetruck, ambulance, and police car came rolling into the gas station. I was very embarrassed, but thankful that they were all there to help. 5 minutes later the car was unlocked and I was signing a paper promising not to sue if my car was damaged (forget about the stupid car, I was happy it was unlocked). We were all drenched and cold from the rain, but Ashton was as happy as ever watching all of the excitement warm and dry in the car.
I wish I could say that this is where my story ends and the rest of the weekend was a blast, but that would be a lie so here goes part II.
Saturday Ashton still had his rash and was pretty fussy so I resorted to the ped's advice and gave him one dose of the children's Motrin. The rest of the day went ok, but right before I put Ashton to bed I noticed some remnants of a rash on his face. I decided to wait and see how he looked in the morning.
Sunday we woke up and his rash was horrible. His little face was swollen, his eyes had big red welts under them and it was a hundred times worse on his tummy and back. I took him to Urgent Care where I was told that our little Ashton is probably allergic to Ibuprofen (which is what's in Motrin, Tommy is also allergic). 2 prescriptions later we headed for home with a quick stop at the pharmacy.
You will be happy to know that he is doing a lot better. Tommy came home to an earful about our weekend, and couldn't believe this all happened while he was away. He was very glad that we were safe and healthy for the most part. I just want to say thank you to Parker Rescue Squad, and Highlands Ranch Urgent Care-they are definitely life savers...Literally.